POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.general : help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions? : Re: help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions? Server Time
6 Aug 2024 14:14:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: help with rotation, gimbal lock? quaternions?
From: Peter Popov
Date: 15 Mar 2002 02:17:44
Message: <7k739u4hvrtp1um8nhc8n77d554ohj92ch@4ax.com>
On Thu, 14 Mar 2002 09:40:37 -0600, Christopher James Huff
<chr### [at] maccom> wrote:

>Try unevenly scaling a sphere. A vector from the center to a point on
>the surface (the normal of an unscaled sphere) goes one way, but the
>normal goes the opposite direction. And how about shearing a box? You
>will end up slanting the normal of the sides which don't change
>orientation.

Well, what I do is inverse-transform the point of intersection
(accounting for translation) so that it is in the object's own
coordinate sphere, then use a simple formula to determine the normal
of a unit object, then transform that normal back to global space
(ignoring translation, of course). This works. And of course it might
just turn out that I am doing what you're doing, only slower <g>. I
need to explore this better.

Peter Popov ICQ : 15002700
Personal e-mail : pet### [at] vipbg